Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Hohner Golden Melody
Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 02:13AM

Frank (or anybody else who is paying attention), I have noticed that you tend to give rather average marks even to harps that you seem to like. what is , in your opinion, the best all- around harp ? How about for a beginner like myself ? I received a GM in the key of C a couple of weeks ago as a gift, and I'm loving it! I'm afraid I've been bitten by the harp bug and I'm already thinking about what key my next harp will be (G, Bb, Db ?). I like bluesy stuff and old rock&roll on the harmonica. Any help would be great.
Thanks, Gatman

Post Edited (09-03-07 22:16)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gouletsm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 12:05PM

This is my personal opinion and preferences. I have many harmonicas in most keys, I started with Golden Melodies too, they are good harps with out a doubt....... BUT the protruding brass plate that sticks out just a little bit has started to annoy me alot, I find it a bit uncomfortable when playing for any lenghth of time. So I tend to enjoy playing the Hohner Special 20 and Marine Band much more, I think it is a better harp for similar money. I also prefer the Suzuki harps for the same reason. More recently I purchased a couple of Lee Oscars. I am now converted, I will stick with the Lee Oscars. My favourite keys are A and Bb (just like the tone). It is difficult to say a particular harp is the "best" all rounder. Just try a few and see which one feels best for you, that is what I have done, Lee Oscars for me !!! Just my opinion, hope it helps a bit.

Post Edited (09-04-07 08:09)

Date: September 05, 2007 03:34PM

Thanks Pagan, Your advice is helpful. I now see what I have to do; Start collecting harmonica's like the rest of you guys. Personally, I have no problem with this concept, My wife on the other hand may have something to say about it. Oh well, can't keep her happy ALL of the time.

Date: September 05, 2007 06:38PM

That is correct, after all there are much worse things you could be doing, than collecting harmonicas and playing some music. Good harmless fun.. I have dug out my Golden Melodies again since reading your post, they are indeed fine harps, keep on harpin'

Date: September 05, 2007 07:13PM

Your encouragement is appreciated. I love reading these theads, It's like everybody knows each other and all are having a good time. Well, except for the occasional disagreement and ensuing debate. But even these are entertaining and educational. I'm going to continue my quest to become the kind of harp player that doesn't send people running with their hands over their ears. I will also continue to hang out here trying to learn more from all of you folks who are more experienced than I am.

By the way, after two and a half weeks of playing, people are able to recognize the tune I'm attempting the first time they hear it. this is a big improvement, and the first real goal that I set for Myself.

It's great having a place to make some new friends.
Jeffrey

Post Edited (09-05-07 16:49)

Posted by: tomahawk59 (---.170.88.75.ip.alltel.net)
Date: October 24, 2007 12:35PM

gatman wrote:

> Thanks Pagan, Your advice is helpful. I now see what I have to
> do; Start collecting harmonica's like the rest of you guys.
> Personally, I have no problem with this concept, My wife on the
> other hand may have something to say about it. Oh well, can't
> keep her happy ALL of the time.

Hey Gatman,
You may also want to try a Suzuki Promaster. Nice tight harp. I did so on the advice of a friend and I'm glad I did. Also, the Hohner Miesterklasse is a really sweet harp.

Tom

Date: October 24, 2007 02:00PM

Thanks Tom, I've been considering either the Suzuki Proharp or the Bushman Delta Frost. Based on your recommendation as well as the good reviews on another thread here, I'll go with the Suzuki this time and the Bushman will get it's turn next time. The Meisterklasse looks very nice, but seems really similar to the Proharp at twice the price.
Jeff

Date: October 24, 2007 02:32PM

I recently bought two pro harps (treated my self !) I don't know if I was unlucky but both of them developed sticking reeds on 7 and 8 holes, they were ok when new, but didn't last long. ( not sure if they are worth the extra cost) They look and feel beautiful but I will not buy another one. I have tried stripping them down and cleaning them, but they are still the same.

I have many Golden Melodies, they are fine harps, once you get used to how they feel in the mouth, they are bright and loud, but I cant get on with the "F" Golden Melody, don't know why ?

I now prefer harps with a flush comb, not keen on the protruding reed plates anymore. Special 20's are my preferred choice of Hohner harps, I have had special 20's for ages, they last well.

Just my humble opinion, stick to what you like.

Pagan smiling smiley

Post Edited (10-24-07 10:35)

Posted by: tomahawk59 (---.170.88.75.ip.alltel.net)
Date: October 24, 2007 02:50PM

pagan wrote:

> I recently bought two pro harps (treated my self !) I don't
> know if I was unlucky but both of them developed sticking reeds
> on 7 and 8 holes, they were ok when new, but didn't last long.
> ( not sure if they are worth the extra cost) They look and feel
> beautiful but I will not buy another one. I have tried
> stripping them down and cleaning them, but they are still the
> same.
>
> I have many Golden Melodies, they are fine harps, once you get
> used to how they feel in the mouth, they are bright and loud,
> but I cant get on with the "F" Golden Melody, don't know why ?
>
>
> I now prefer harps with a flush comb, not keen on the
> protruding reed plates anymore. Special 20's are my preferred
> choice of Hohner harps, I have had special 20's for ages, they
> last well.
>
> Just my humble opinion, stick to what you like.
>
> Pagan smiling smiley
>

>
> Post Edited (10-24-07 10:35)
I agree with you, play what you like, my favorites are my Golden Melodies, my Blues Harps and my Promasters( I have one valved and one unvalved) But I think my favorite is my Meisterklasse.

Tom

Date: October 24, 2007 03:03PM

Wow! Thats the first negative review I've heard about the Proharp. The Special 20 is another harmonica I have been wanting to try, have you tried the Delta Frost?
The protruding reed plates don't bother me, but maybe that will change after I play a harp that doesn't have them. The thing that bothers me about the GM reed plates is that they aren't replacable.
Jeff

Date: October 24, 2007 04:32PM

I have never tried the Delta Frost harps, I have heard good things about them, I may purchase one soon, I wish my pro harps had lasted better as they are lovely ! they feel like a quality harp, quite heavy. (mine are now, nice paper weights !!!)

Pagan smiling smiley

Date: October 24, 2007 05:17PM

I would like to start getting harmonicas with replacable reeds. Are the reed plates in the special 20 replacable, or is the MS series the only Hohner harmonicas that you can buy new plates for?
I was really leaning toward the Proharp, but the more questions I ask, the more confused I get.
I have heard good things about the Bushman Delta Frost, But now that I've brought it up, I'll probably hear a horror story about them.
Am I making too big a deal about wanting replacable reed plates? How long do they last? Maybe if I collect enough harmonicas so that I'm not playing the same one all of the time, I won't have to worry so much about them wearing out.

Posted by: sully (199.43.48.---)
Date: October 24, 2007 05:44PM

Delta Frosts are great harps, the issue is getting them. stock issues

SP20 sold in the US are handmade and do not have replaceable reed plates

Hering 1923 , Suzuki promasters, Lee Oskar ( the first to offer ) also have replacebale plates.

Date: October 24, 2007 06:30PM

Delta Frosts are available in the UK no problem, by mail order, delivered in 48hours about £24. (not much good to you in the US !) when I get one soon, I will report back. I must admit to never replacing reed plates, if a harp expires, I buy a new one,

gatman, sully is correct SP20's do not have replaceable reed plates, but I have had mine ages, still plays perfect, not bad for a mid price harp. I wouldn't worry to much about specifically buying harps with replaceable plates, especially if you play a selection, and spread out the usage.

Date: October 24, 2007 08:33PM

One website I checked said the Delta Frost was back-ordered and available 10/24. Hey, that's today! Anyway, I'm sure my wife will be able to chase one down by christmas.

Date: November 16, 2007 05:29PM

pagan wrote:

> This is my personal opinion and preferences. I have many
> harmonicas in most keys, I started with Golden Melodies too,
> they are good harps with out a doubt....... BUT the protruding
> brass plate that sticks out just a little bit has started to
> annoy me alot, I find it a bit uncomfortable when playing for
> any lenghth of time. So I tend to enjoy playing the Hohner
> Special 20 and Marine Band much more, I think it is a better
> harp for similar money. I also prefer the Suzuki harps for the
> same reason. More recently I purchased a couple of Lee Oscars.
> I am now converted, I will stick with the Lee Oscars. My
> favourite keys are A and Bb (just like the tone). It is
> difficult to say a particular harp is the "best" all rounder.
> Just try a few and see which one feels best for you, that is
> what I have done, Lee Oscars for me !!! Just my opinion, hope
> it helps a bit.
>

>
> Post Edited (09-04-07 08:09)

When I first heard people complain about the protuding reed plates on the GM, I didn't see what the problem was. I figured I would understand when I tried another harp without the plates sticking out. Well my GM is still my only harmonica, but I have gotten alot better and am practicing much more (about an hour a day on average), So those reed plates are starting to bother me some. Just a little, not unbearable. I still love my GM and think it is a fine harp, but I am looking forward to trying something new and different. My wife has a list that I have compiled of the many brands and models of harps that I want to try (many, many brands and models), as well as the different keys (all of them) I am interested in.

Post Edited (2008-03-03 16:44:22)

Posted by: SetantaNYC (---.abl.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 04:29PM

Golden Melodies are pretty kick-ass harps, I play and love them

Date: February 15, 2008 11:33PM

The Golden Melody is my favorite, so far.

Date: March 03, 2008 09:43PM

Update:
I recieved a Lee Oskar for Christmas and have had a couple of months to play it. It is a good harmonica, but I just like the Golden Melody better. Maybe it is because I started out with th GM and it's what I'm used to.
I think another reason I like the GM so much is because it is not as thick at the front as other harps. I lost nearly half of my lower lip to cancer about ten years ago, and the thinner front just fits better.

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2008 04:40AM

How a harp fits you is a very important thing. People need to try several harps of different sizes to know what fits them best. That's why I like the Lee Oskar best, the slightly larger holes fit me better.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.