Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
The Hohner MS Line
Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 30, 2005 02:09PM

Basically, I'll be reviewing the Big River, the Blues Harp, the Pro Harp, and the Cross Harp. I know technically the Meisterklasse is part of the MS series, but I figured I'd give it a topic of its own when and if I ever get one.

We'll start at the "bottom" of the list

The Big River: This is normally the least expensive of the MS series. It has a plastic comb, like most of the MS series, yet has a suprisingly warm sound. It is a little brighter than the Blues Harp or the Marine Band, but can certainly hold its own against the Special 20. It also has good volume.
   The Big River is also the cheapest of the Hohner Harmonicas outside of their economy lines (Blues Band, Hot Metal, American Ace, etc.). The problem with the cost being so low is that it makes the harmonica hardly worth being part of the MS series. Replacement plates cost almost as much as the harmonica.
   There is one other drawback to the Big River (and for that matter all of the plastic combed MS series) in comparison to the Special 20. The Special 20 (and most of the economy lines) have completely recessed reed plates, whereas the reed plates on the MS series are exposed on the hole side of the harmonica.

Overall: 3½/5

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Hohner MS Line
Date: May 30, 2005 02:16PM

Next up, The Blues Harp
Again, it may just be my affinity for wooden combs, but this is probably my favorite of the MS series. It has a sound that is all but indistinguishable from the Marine Band. For a wooden combed harmonica, it is surprisingly air-tight. It's reasonably priced, yet high enough to warrant replacing the reeds instead of the entire harp. The only issue is that, as with the Marine Band, the comb tends to warp out of shape and make it uncomfortable to play, and possibly wiser to replace the harp than just the reed plates.

Overall: 3½/5

Date: May 30, 2005 02:24PM

Now for The Pro Harp:

The Pro Harp has only one feature that makes it truly unique. It has matteblack covers instead of nickel or chrome plated ones. This does reduce lip irritation, but since it's a matte finish, it isn't any smoother. Overall, it doesn't sound any better than the Big River or the Blues Harp, and seems a little "big" in the mouth compared to other harmonicas. I'd actually recommend the Soul's Voice from Bushman over this harmonica.

Overall: 3/5

Date: May 30, 2005 02:30PM

Lastly, there is The Cross Harp:

With its gold tone plastic comb, matte black finish, and lack of hole numbers on the top cover, this harmonica is the Cadillac (or Lincoln if you prefer) of harmonicas. By that, I mean, there are harmonicas just as good (if not better), for substantially less money, but they sure won't look as sharp. You can get the same performance and feel for about $5 - $10 less by buying the Pro Harp. Once again, though, I'd recommend the Bushman Soul's voice over this visual beauty.

Overall: 2½/5

Posted by: lasseandersen (---.k401.webspeed.dk)
Date: August 16, 2005 07:34PM

Hi!!! About the The Pro Harp i also think that it is a little to big!!!

Lasse

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: August 21, 2005 02:51PM

pcguyiv, Frank... (smile)))

Do you or have you owned all the above listed harps your reviewed? I love hearing personal reviews about the different harmonicas available.

The Blues Harp sounds like one I'd like to check out, for I'm developing a thing for the wooden combed harps too. Are there other wood comb harps out there that you've tried besides the Marine Band & Blues Harp?

~always Maria.

Date: August 22, 2005 01:30PM

zephyrazure wrote:

> pcguyiv, Frank... (smile)))
>
> Do you or have you owned all the above listed harps your
> reviewed? I love hearing personal reviews about the different
> harmonicas available.
>
> The Blues Harp sounds like one I'd like to check out, for I'm
> developing a thing for the wooden combed harps too. Are there
> other wood comb harps out there that you've tried besides the
> Marine Band & Blues Harp?
>
> ~always Maria.
>

To answer your first question, yes. I do own all of them. That's why (aside from the fact I think it probably deserves its own category) I haven't reviewed the Meisterklasse yet. Technically it is part of the MS series, but it's a great deal more expensive ($60-$80 for the Meisterklasse vs $15-$35 for the other MS harps).

Now for the 2nd question. I haven't personally tried any of these, but these are the ones I know about:

1. 1923 Vintage from Hering (http://www.harpdepot.com/productdetail/~Model/440~/d.html)

2. Delta Frost Wood Comb from Bushman (http://harpdepot.com/productdetail/~Model/72~/d.html)

3. Marine Band Deluxe from Hohner (http://www.hohnerusa.com/pressreleases_new_MBdeluxe.htm) (http://www.harpdepot.com/productdetail/~Model/HO2005~/d.html)
The Hohner link gives a better description, but the Harp Depot link will let you buy it.

Date: August 23, 2005 02:27PM

pcguyiv wrote: I haven't reviewed the Meisterklasse yet.

Yesterday, I was here: [www.hohnerusa.com] checkin' out the 580/20 Mesterklasse. They state it's made out of a very lightweight metal comb, instead of plastic or wood! The Mesterklasse is a pricey diatonic harmonica, $87.95 at the above website. I wonder if the sound justifies the cost?

If you know anything about the Hohner Meisterklasse, I'd love to hear it! (hint, hint, wink))))))

~always Maria.

Date: August 23, 2005 02:43PM

I'm reluctant to say much, because I haven't actually played one, but here's what I do know.

The Meisterklasse is a top-end performance quality harmonica with a metal (specifically aluminum) comb. I don't remember if it is a cast aluminum or milled aluminum comb, though I'm fairly certain it's milled aluminum. The reed plates are the same as what are used in the Hohner Cross Harp and are replaceable. (A big savings considering the cost of the harp.) According to what I've heard the sound is brighter and louder than plastic, which is usually brighter and louder than wood. It's coverplates go all the way to the edge on all 4 sides, and they are only open on the front of the harp, allowing for good projection of sound and better response to fanning and improved responsiveness to bending. It is also supposed to be one of the most airtight harmonicas Hohner makes, but again, I don't know how true that actually is, though I would imagine it's a fairly accurate statement.

You can get them from Harp Depot for $60 + S&H.
[www.harpdepot.com]

Is it worth the cost? Considering I don't think the Cross Harp is worth the difference in cost over the Pro Harp, I hesitate to say yes, but then again, It's construction is similar to the Golden Melody (except in shape) or the Suzuki ProMaster and BluesMaster, 2 of which (the Golden Melody & BluesMaster) I know for a fact are well worth their cost. You certainly wouldn't have to worry about the comb swelling, or breaking, and the reed plates are replaceable.

Date: October 24, 2005 04:14PM

Hey, I just aquired an MS Blues Harp in key Ab/G# from Woodwind & Brasswind (https://www.wwbw.com/) for $14.39. What a lovely harmonica! Before I even played it, I like the look & feel in my hands. The plates are slightly more rounded which makes a little bit more it thicker from top to bottom than the Marine Band.

And, oh my, the sound is fantastic! My rendtion of "Michael Rows the Boat Ashore" on this harmonica sends chills... For the money, the Blues Harp is a winner. I got a great deal because I got 10% off on this harp, when I bought a Marine Band Bb at their regular price of $15.99. The Bb is on backorder, but the cost of shipping 2 harmonicas wasn't anymore than shipping 1, so I couldn't resist. (giggle)))

The next harmonica I'm saving up for is going to be a 1923 Vintage from Hering. (grin)) But, at the rate I'm blowin' money on harmonicas, it will have to be next month. hehehe

~always Maria.

I'm rating the Blues Harp a 4/5. (wink, grin)))

Posted by: irishharpman (64.251.54.---)
Date: December 15, 2005 04:07PM

I will review the set Suzuki Promasters after I break them in. So far they are absolutely smooth, comfortable,,,,we'll see how fat later.

Date: December 15, 2005 04:57PM

How exciting for you Rob! I've heard some great things about the Suzuki Promasters. What keys did you get in your set?

I'll be on pins & needles 'till I hear your review of 'em! (giggle))) If I can't afford new harmonicas right now, I can live vicariously through you! hehehe

~always Maria.

Posted by: Otana (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 01:24AM

I received a Hohner Pro Harp for Christmas, one which I was anticipating greatly, because it was my first harmonica in the key of A. Huge Difference.

I only have two problems with this harmonica, and they stem from it's design. Aside from this, I have a Marine Band and a Lee Oskar, and the three vary so much from each other it's hard to tell what's best.

The Pro Harp's first problem is, like I said, purely in design. The plastic body of the comb meets with a golden plate that overlaps the holes just slightly. The golden plate is most likely brass or copper, but I'm not entirely sure, and I'm too lazy to look it up.

I'm assuming that the reason for this plate is to prevent residue from the lips from getting into the harp, which is a really good thing. While I love the fact that it's so easy to clean because of this, it can be rough on the lips, especially if your lips are chapped. Playing the harmonica with chapped lips is always a dumb idea, but playing like this on the Pro Harp is hell.

The Matte-black finish on the cover plates does serve to reduce friction, and it tugs at the lips alot less because of this. Unfortunatly, because it is so dark the slightest debree shows. Five minuets of playing can leave the harp looking nasty, which means fastidious cleaning every time you play. Cleaning the harp is essential anyway, so for me it's not an issue, but I'm always surprised by how much skin ends up on the harmonica. The black really shows it.

I would recommend the Pro Harp, but not for any beginner players. The harp has nice features to it, but these little inconsistencies are the things that discourage beginners from playing-it's not a particularly easy harp to bend on.

Posted by: Mitchell_Harmonica (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 12:32AM

The Pro is nice becuase it shows no light scratches or finger prints, the reed plates also stick out, if it weren't for this it would be my favorite, it has a bit more power than the SP 20.

Otana: I agree on the reed plates. But to me the Black is ***WAY*** better for keeping it looking clean and nice. It hides all the little scratches, finger prints and all nasty residue from slaiva as far as i can see, this is why i like it!

Mitch

Post Edited (01-15-07 19:37)

Posted by: Dick (---.york.ac.uk)
Date: January 18, 2007 08:11PM

You could try filing down the reed plate, I did this on a Big River harp and found it worked really well.
I removed the Cover plates and used a file to grind the reed plate down untill it was flush with the comb, then I rounded off the edge to make sure it wasn't uncomfortable to play. You could also use wet and dry paper of varying grits to get a smoother finish, but I found it fine without.
Then just replace the reed plates.
I find it far easier to form a good seal round the holes now so im pretty pleased with it.

Dick

P.s. Doing this probably voids any warranties the harp has, so if you do it, be careful and take your time, and don't blame me if it goes wrong.

Posted by: Mitchell_Harmonica (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 18, 2007 10:43PM

Let us know when you have a full review on the Suzuki Promasters, I want to know if the extra 30$ or so is worth it. Are they the valved version or "regular"?

Mitch

Posted by: Ove (156.110.24.---)
Date: June 29, 2007 03:07PM

I've been playin' my first harp for 6 months now which happens to be a Pro Harp in C (maybe not the best for begginers). Although it's probrably not the easiest to bend, I've been well pleased. Now I want another in A, and have read a bunch of reviews for different harps. The Big River has been compared to Bushmans harps, but some say it leaks air. I was wanting a Marine Band, but have decided to stick w/plastic combs since I'm quite hard on my harp ( I play throughout the day, everyday), and rinse it out alot. Since the Big River is only $13, and replacement reeds are $15, should I just fork out a little more and get another Pro Harp, or maybe a Special 20.

Posted by: sully (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 02, 2007 09:32PM

A few points, IMHO

1 Special 20 are handmade and are far better than ANY MS series.

2 ALL replacment reeds are the crossharps reedplates so always worth changing the plates in Big Rivers, Blues harps and proharps. And should be done

3 BUSHMAN DELTAFROSTS are NOT WOOD comb, they are plastic and play better than ANY MS harp. Only harp I like better is the Suzuki Firebreath

MY opion comes from 30+ years of playing, I CURRENTLY own full sets of the following .

Special 20
Lee Oskar major and Natural Minor
Bushman Delta frosts- great response
Suzuki Firebreath - The best harp I have ever played ( 50.00 us )
Hering Vintage 1923

also assiorted Marine Bands including the Deluxe.

Posted by: ricanefan (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 30, 2007 12:34AM

My two cents...

I own and play a Cross Harp, a Pro Harp, and several Blues Harps from the MS series.

My first impression is always visual, and the Pro and Blues Harps I have always found to be beautiful instruments. I find the comb of the Cross Harp to be a bit "shiny" and bright. It has grown on me, but still one of the less attractive harps in my collection.

Second impression, how they feel in my hands. Love them all. They just feel sturdier than anything else I've played.

Third impression, how they feel to play. Like a prior poster, I find the Pro Harp lacking. I have facial hair, and it gets caught only in my Pro. Got my lip caught once, too. My Cross Harp - due to the plating finish on the comb that I'm not the biggest fan of - slides extremely smoothly. Was initially odd - in a good way - but I've gotten used to it. Blues Harps (at least the MS versions) always felt good.

Fourth impression, how they play. Again, as stated by a prior poster, the Pro Harp takes a little more to bend than anything else. Blues Harp bends like a Marine Band or Special 20. Cross Harp might be the easiest bending Harp I own - easier, even, than the Golden Melody.

Finally, how they sound. All nice and tight sounding. I don't have a trained ear, but my Cross Harp has an identical tone to my Golden Melody. The Pro sounds clearer, "colder", while the Blues Harps have the warm, rich tone of a wooden comb.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.