Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
M. Hoher Marine Band Harmonica
Posted by: davidghs2003 (---.bootp.Virginia.EDU)
Date: May 01, 2005 08:18AM

This is a good wooden harmonica. This happened to be the first one that I bought, but I have read that it is not recommended for beginners. I found it hard to get the bends out. I am doing a lot better now, but I have not totally mastered them. I don't know if it is harder to bend on a wooden one of plastic one, or if there is a difference. But, I'd say once you have been playing for a little while, this one is a good one to get.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: M. Hoher Marine Band Harmonica
Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 11, 2005 06:52PM

The reeds have more to do with how difficult a harmonica is to bend than the comb does. Plastic combs are, in theory, easier to bend notes with than wood ones because they are more airtight, but ultimately, it's the reeds and skill of the player. IMO, the Hohner Special 20 (supposedly the plastic comb clone of the Marine Band) doesn't bend any easier. However, Lee Oskar harmonicas do tend to be easier to bend. The difference is primarily in the reeds. Exactly what that difference is, I'm not entirely certain. I'm no metalurgist (SP?).

Now for my evaluation of the Hohner Marine Band: Perhaps it's because it was my first harmonica that I took seriously, but the Marine Band is probably my favorite harmonica. That being said, it is not without it's faults. While its wooden comb gives the Marine Band a warm and mellow tone unmatched by almost any other harmonica, it also produces this harmonica's largest drawback. It is not a smooth harmonica to play. The wood will often swell and become warped out of shape, and therefore, rough to the lips. While this is often what many people think of when they think of harmonicas, and all too often, it is what many people set out to find when they go to buy a harmonica, it doesn't make a good learning harmonica. For that, one should really go with a model with a plastic comb.

Overall Evaluation: 3½/5

Post Edited (10-03-05 11:45)

Posted by: davidghs2003 (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 03:47PM

thanks for the feedback

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: October 02, 2005 05:14PM

I know that many people don't recommend the Hohner 1896 Marine Band harmonicas to learn on, but I love 'em, & I'm making progress all the time. Maybe because I don't have much to compare them to, but I find my Marine Band easier to play than my Golden Melody which has a plastic comb.

Sure, at first, I had a bit of swelling on my 1st Marine Band (key of C). But then I learned to keep a soft cloth nearby to wipe the moisture from my mouth between songs & polish the harmonica, when I'm done playing. Also, it's important to shake out the harp (into the cloth) between sets too. Consequently, I rarely have a problem with swelling.

In my opinion, the Marine Band makes me sound like a better player, & I'd give it a 4/5! That's 1/2 a point more than Frank gave!!! lol

Posted by: scottishbob (---.cable.ubr06.azte.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 04, 2005 05:00PM

Has anyone played one of those new fangled marine band deluxe things?

I love buying harmonicas and I am itching to get another one.

Date: October 04, 2005 09:43PM

Not as of yet, but early reviews seem to indicate there isn't a sufficient difference between the Marine Band and the Deluxe to justify the price difference.....but I'll probably end up getting one eventually anyway.

Date: October 04, 2005 11:10PM

Hi (smile))

After reading Bob's post, I went to see if I could find a description of the "Deluxe" version of the Marine Band. This is what Coast to Coast Music blurp read,

We have developed state-of-the-art improvements, which include optimized handling to ensure greater volume & faster response while retaining the richness and power of the Hohner Classic Sound.The name Marine Band is synonymous with a long and successful tradition of high quality harmonica manufacture. Ever since 1896, discerning professional harmonica players in search of an unmistakeable and unique sound have played the HOHNER Marine Band as their instrument of choice. The new Marine Band Deluxe combines this legendary character with a variety of state of the art improvements which optimize handling and ensure greater volume and faster response, while retaining the essential richness and power of the Hohner Classic Sound. The Marine Band Deluxe is ideal for traditional harmonica styles, while also equally well suited for more modern playing techniques.
• Improved cover design for greater volume and enhanced stability
• Assembled with 3 reed plate screws and 4 cover screws to maximize airtightness and facilitate maintenance
• Sealed pearwood comb for greater volume and faster response
• Channel openings and outer corners rounded off for greater playing comfort new

I thought it is rather pricey, $52.95 at Coast to Coast, but it did get a 5 star rating. If anybody out there has played a Deluxe Marine Band, I'd like to hear any reviews on it!

But I don't know, I think that if I was going to spend that much money, I might like to go for the Hohner XB-40 Extreme Bend. hehehe

~always Maria.

Posted by: Doctor_Crazysauce (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2005 09:14PM

I just got this one, I noticed that the five is signifacantly bigger then all of the other holes. Is this normal? On my first harmonica I noticed all the holes are equal. I'm considering buying a new harmonica in this key because the whole difference makes it akward to play.

Thanks for the help

Date: October 28, 2005 10:12PM

Gosh, that's weird. I own several Marine Bands and love 'em. But, I think all the holes should be equal and you got a harp that's flawed. I know harmonica's are instruments that usually have a policy of "no returns," but if it was me, I'd still contact the company I bought it from and beg for an exchange or refund.

In fact, my first harmonica was a Hohner Special 20, and dang but the 2 hole reeds were damaged coming out of the box! I contacted Musician's Friends, and bless they're hearts, they refunded my money so I could buy another one. Plus, they told me to go ahead & keep the flawed harp to save me the trouble & expense of shipping it back.

Out of curiousity, what key is the harmonica that has a 5 hole with a gland problem? (smile)))

~always Maria.

Date: October 28, 2005 11:02PM

Doctor_Crazysauce wrote:

> I just got this one, I noticed that the five is signifacantly
> bigger then all of the other holes. Is this normal? On my first
> harmonica I noticed all the holes are equal. I'm considering
> buying a new harmonica in this key because the whole difference
> makes it akward to play.
>
> Thanks for the help

Zephyr is correct that the holes should all be the same size, and it would be good to follow her advice and see if either the place you bought it from or Hohner would be willing to repair or replace it.

I will tell you this, that if you end up having issues with swelling on a wooden combed harp such as the Marine Band or Blues Harp, then you are on your own. Normally they'll only fix or replace initial manufacturing defects or if your harp goes flat with "normal" wear and tear within the warranty period...but it's up to the manufacturer what constitutes "normal" wear and tear.

Date: October 28, 2005 11:33PM

interesting enough, a little swelling of the wooden comb doesn't seem to affect the way it plays or sounds. Although, I imagine too much swelling (and warping) would make it uncomfortable to play on the lips... Fortunately, I haven't had such extreme problems with swelling because I've learned to keep a hankercheif around to wipe my mouth and harmonica. Plus, if I think I'm getting one harp too wet, I'll switch to another harp. (grin)))

Posted by: Azazel (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 12:08AM

Like all wooden???
like..all of it?
Of got one of those and..well its not entirely wooden.
I don't know very much about harmonicas so sorry if i sound stupid

Date: February 03, 2006 02:02AM

The comb (where the holes are) can be made from all kinds of materials, but usually it's wooden or plastic. The cover plates (sound chambers) are usually made of metal, but not always. The reeds, beneith the cover plates, are what the air passes over and makes a beautiful noise. (smile)))

On the Hohner Marine Band, the key of the hamonica is written on the top right side.

Hope I cleared things up for you Azazel. (smile)))

Posted by: bobdylan (---.247.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 11:38PM

This is a good harmonica, and the second that I owned. I could get note bends out easier on my previous harp but the tone quality is so much better on this one that it makes it worth while.

Posted by: Azazel (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 04:06AM

although i is dumb, i at least knew where it has the key..letter..thingy
ive got two c's an a and a g...g be my fav

Posted by: booky_blues (---.NSW.dft.com.au)
Date: February 04, 2006 06:08AM

i have just got a marine band in the key of G. after playing a really cheap hohner silver star the marine band was like heaven. i am finding it easy to bend on (even though i have just started bending) and it is easier to hit single notes.

Posted by: bobdylan (---.247.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 03:41PM

I've owned and seen a lot of these but never one with an oddly large 5 hole. this is probably a factory defect and if it bothers you enough than you could probably get a refund or a new harp.

Post Edited (02-04-06 11:43)

Posted by: tomahawk59 (71.31.128.---)
Date: April 10, 2006 12:12PM

I just picked up a Marine Band in the Key of G, So far so good, 3 blow seems to be a little sticky but as I play it more its loosening up. On a scale of 1-5 I'd give it a 3.5.

Tom

Posted by: MadHatterIX (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 05, 2006 03:08AM

The Marine band is the only harp I've ever owned. No, I'm not praising it. I'm just a beginner who hasn't gotten over to the music store to get a new one. Having nothing to compare it to, I can't give much of an analysis, but i will say it has a very rich sound. It just has that "Harmonica" sound that you expect, like every harmonica sound you've heard in the movies or out of a professional.

Bending? I didn't have any problems. I've got a magical Draw 4 bend, as well as a regular draw 2 and six. I also have a horribly mediocre draw 3 bend, but that just may be me.

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas3.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 11:48PM

Dave,
I have only the "Special 20" Marine Band, which is basically a Marine Band with a plastic comb, instead of a wooden comb. I like it, but it is not my favorite harp.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.